Walcheren Campaign Bicentenary - July 2009

Reports on past events. Only Forum Officials can post topics and Registered users can reply.
Steve Lee
95thRLHS Chairman

Walcheren Campaign Bicentenary - July 2009

Post by Steve Lee »

On 10-12 July 2009, the 95th Rifles Living History Society representing
1st Battalion 95th (Rifle) Regiment of Foot (1/95) and 2nd Battalion 44th East Essex Regiment of Foot (2/44)
participated, under the auspices of the Napoleonic Association of the Netherlands (NAN), in the 200th Anniversary of the Walcheren Campaign, 30 July to 9 December 1809.

This was a top notch gig, there is so much I could say.

Walcheren, is not pronounced 'Wall-Karen' as I have been calling it for the last few weeks. To pronounce it correctly you need to make a noise in your throat which sounds like someone with a chest infection.

The Dutch language is very mature and they appear to be able to freely use words like 'Willy' and 'Winkle' without anyone sniggering. A good example is a sign out side the gents saying 'Please make water here', guaranteed to make any Brit smirk in a Charles Hawtrey fashion. Our Dutch brothers take it in their stride.

Anyway, point of my post is to say what a fantastic event and how much trouble the NAN obviously went to.

Thanks Fellas and ladies.

1/95th were in the thick of it from start to finish.

Asi I was leaving a NAN senior officer said to me ' The 1/95th performed superbly on both days, thank you. We (The Dutch) are not used to skirmishers pushing at us constantly through a battle. It was a new experience for us and we enjoyed it very much'

Huzza !! to that.
Mjr Steve Lee
Commanding Officer 1/95
No. 1 Coy No. 95
Rfn.Deering J
Ex-95thRLHS Member

Re: Walcheren Campaign Bicentenary - July 2009

Post by Rfn.Deering J »

To add to Steve's post.
A brilliant place to visit with so much history simply in the biuldings and architecture. On top of that the villagers amassed a whole host of things in order to create one whole completely authentic street which felt like you were stepping back in time (including authentic bar!). Everything modern i.e. signs etc were covered up and hidden. It was Excellent!

The Invasion launched from the boats was incredible and once landed on the beach having rowed to the shore and waded through the shallows we were launched straight into the tall grass(Ideal for us rifles!) and fought a fantastic offensive action culminating with an assault on one of the ravelin bastions making up the towns defences!

This was a cracking event and will go down on my best event list!
James Deering
Ex-Cpl 1/95
CM Steven Hars

Post by CM Steven Hars »

Without a doubt the best event I've ever done. The 44th were magnificent and the 1/95th were by far the most cohesive light unit on the British side.

There are lots of videos on Youtube, just search Veere or Walcheren, but just to whet your appetite try this one which shows the valiant 44th, and a couple of others, storming the hill to finish the battle - superb!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlESl4DtKdo

Another couple of video that capture the essence of the weekend and also show the town, landing, parade and a splendid volley from the 44th!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CE7ie5XSw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNTQ3TQQGLk

A nice news report from Dutch television:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPRPDlgSDgc

Anyone who didn't go wish they went now? :mrgreen:
Alan Earp
Colonel 1/95th

Post by Alan Earp »

There's also this one of Day 2's assault on the French bastion where 1/95th had the honour of being the Forlorn Hope that managed to clear the way for the 44th heavies without loss, despite entreaties for us to commit suicide!
You can see us at the foot of the hill skirmishing and probing for the charge to the crest. We finally charged up the mound in the centre, with the 44th to our left and 92nd to our right, and managed to capture the cannon that had been firing above us. You can see all of this on Steve's first YouTube offering above. Les captured it close up and I will cobble the DVD together in time for Landguard.

As is the norm, 2/44th's volleys kept up a constant and concentrated rate of fire throughout. Towards the end of each battle other units fell by the wayside and their volleys consisted on one or two guns at most with stragglers following on, if at all. Well done chaps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flNj1ofP ... re=related
Lt Col Alan Earp
Colonel of the Battalion 1/95

"True leadership must be for the benefit of the followers, not the enrichment of the leaders"
Steve Lee
95thRLHS Chairman

Post by Steve Lee »

Ladies and gents,
If at any dark times you have ever doubted the comradeship or strength of our society. Check out the 1/95th and the 44th leading the forlorn hope across the bridge, repairing it as we went along.
The picture doesn't show the French waiting at the other end. I am very proud to have been a part of it.

Mjr Steve Lee
Commanding Officer 1/95
No. 1 Coy No. 95